Wednesday, April 14, 2010

AA0ZZ circuit board is finished.

The circuit board phase of this project has been completed. It shouldn't have taken long; there are only 10 components!



The recommended enclosure is, of course, an Altoids tin. I am not using one for two reasons ...
1) I don't have a punch to make the necessary holes and 2) I have some nice sturdier metal enclosures that I saved from the dumpster at my old job.

In addition to assembling the circuit board, I drilled holes in the enclosure for the three phono jacks that you see in the above photo. For the memory buttons, I am forgoing the ones supplied with the kit and am using some Radio Shack momentary push buttons that I picked up at the Hamfest last Sunday. These are chassis mountable and will go on the enclosure's "top" side.

When all is said and done, the enclosure will be painted a bright yellow to match the PFR3A and I also ordered some decal paper to make my own labels. Yes .... decals. For a $17 kit with a homebrew enclosure - decals are just fine.

I ordered a package of decal paper from DecalPaper.com, and when it comes, I will design and create my own custom decals for this project. Thanks to John AE5X for pointing me to this product from one of his blog posts. Take a look at the video he embedded in his post. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

72 de Larry W2LJ

3 comments:

  1. Looks good, but what does it do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a memory keyer.

    Twelve direct-entry commands

    Three easy-to-use, 31 character memories kept in non-volitile memory (EEPROM)

    5 - 55 wpm speed range

    Iambic A or B, straight key, and Cootie Key modes

    Sequenced Mute Line (goes low for receiver or T/R switch)

    Default speed and modes stored in non-volitile memory (EEPROM)

    Speed entered by command or changed on-the-fly via the paddles

    Low power - 1 mA active and 1 uA in sleep mode

    Very long battery life (sleep mode when not in use) so no power switch needed

    Current speed reported upon command

    Operating voltage 3-5 volts

    600 Hz sidetone (may be turned off)

    Autospacing between characters (may be turned off)

    Paddle swap command
    Keyed line goes low when active

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:11 AM

    That's really a great post.. nice one.. i like this post.. PCB Design

    ReplyDelete