Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Waxing philosophically

I received a private e-mail from an individual today, who is/was a regular reader who came to the conclusion that this blog must be the most important thing in my life. I guess he came to this conclusion as I have really been at this for the past few months; and I do try to get a post in just about every day, if I can.

First off, there's nothing that's farther from the truth than that assumption. The most important thing in my life is my family. Immediate and extended, they are without a doubt the most important thing in my life.

Next would come the involvement I have in Church and community and my kid's school. I keep busy with a ton of things and have a lot of commitments. Not only family and civic ones; but work ones too. In a hobby that seems to be dominated by elder gentlemen, I am fortunate enough to be young enough to have to work full time. And believe me, it is rare that I am able to put in "only" 40 hours. So yeah, I have a lot of commitments; but so do a lot of other people these days. It seems to be the way of life now. Some times it seems like I spend more time away from home than in it!

But all that being said, this blog is very important to me. In the few minutes that I get to put into it each day, I get to keep in touch with my favorite hobby and my favorite friends and acquaintances. Maybe it's even a bit of participating in the hobby only vicariously for the want of more time to be able to do it the "right way". Anyway, it's my way of kicking back for a few, having some fun (we ARE all allowed that!); and letting all the other "stuff" go to a side rail - for just a little bit!

72 de Larry W2LJ

5 comments:

  1. Larry,

    Sometimes in reading through blogs you get the feeling that someone is posting something "just to post an entry". I can think of several blogs that I routinely check and feel that way. And in some cases I think you can fault the writer for thinking that someone is interested in reading how they tied their shoes differently that day and they worked more DX than they have had in their life. Or they have a lengthy summary of their participation in a contest but only managed 50 QSO's. Those types of entries are disappointing.

    But that's not the case at all in your blog. I've been reading it for quite a while now. I find it very interesting and I think the fact that you think it's important comes through.
    73 Ed N4EMG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry,

    How rude it is to assume anything, what does this person know about you, obviously nothing, and what business is it of his anyway.

    You didn't need to post a response, I would only give one if it deserved one.

    You carry on doing what you do, never mind other people and their narrow minded insight.

    Rant over !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry, I always read your blog, and I like it. Not always giving comments, by the way, I find out that about 5 to 8 % of my visitors leaves a comment. Most of them doesn't. But there are a lot readers. It's a good thing to share this wonderful hobby with others. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Larry, thanks for this post in your blog. I was asking myself lately if I was the only one who has a lot of commitments. And because of that have less time for the hobby. I recognize myself in your story. I use my blog to tell about my hobby not only for others but also to relax a bit. Most of the people I meet in daily life are not interested in the radio subject at all. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously, whoever wrote you that email about the amount of time you spend blogging took a similar amount of time to read it. Repeatedly. That irony probably escapes him...

    ReplyDelete