Wednesday, April 07, 2010

I am getting forgetful

in my old age (52 ain't that old!). I received my latest SPRAT from the GQRP today to discover that it was time to renew my membership. Actually, the time for all members to renew is January 1. Here it is, 4 months later and I still hadn't done it. Hence, my using "old age" as an excuse.

Luckily, it's a lot easier to do than in the past. The old way was to send your dues to the GQRP's US agent, who was Bill Kelsey N8ET. He would forward payment overseas to the UK. Now it's just a matter of going on over to the GQRP's website and renewing directly through PayPal. No muss, no fuss.

By the way, if you're not a member, you can also use the website to join. I really enjoy getting SPRAT and keeping in touch with what the British QRPers are doing.

GQRP is one of three organizations that I belong to that collect dues. The other two are QRP ARCI and FISTS (well, 4 organizations if you count the local repeater club). I know a lot of Hams rail against paying dues and belonging to organizations that collect them. However, QRP Quarterly and SPRAT are worth the dues, in my humble opinion. I also like The Keynote which FISTS puts out. Now that Nancy Kott WZ8C is no longer the editor of WorldRadio Online, I am hoping that The Keynote will go back to its normal publishing schedule.

I guess you can consider me a dues paying member of the ARRL too; but an all paid up one. I am a Life Member and it's a little weird to get QST each month to see the expiration date of my membership appear as 12/2099. Maybe they know something I don't?

I had a meeting tonight and got home on the later side, so no QSO attempt with the PFR3A today. I am going to give it a shot tomorrow night, most likely. I like the way the little yellow box looks and am looking forward to it being a good performer. Maybe all the trials and tribulations will make future QSOs made with it all that sweeter.

72 de Larry W2LJ

3 comments:

  1. I agree, QRP Quarterly and Sprat are both good value and I always look forward to receiving them. I also subscribe to QST and CQ (I like to keep in touch with what is going on your side of the pond) as well as the RSGB's RadCom. Hopefully it isn't just bias when I say I think RadCom is the best monthly publication of the three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that both SPRAT and QRP Quarterly are well worth the dues. I received my SPRAT two days ago and brought it with me to the hospital yesterday. I'm glad I did as I had to wait for almost one and a half hour for my examination.

    72! Mads, LA1TPA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I've found SPRAT from the GQRP Club to be a tremendous value and one club pub that I wouldn't want to be without. So many small, practical projects that seem to stand the test of time very well.

    73 de Jeff, KE9V

    ReplyDelete