Sunday, August 11, 2013

Not much time, but loads of fun!

So as I previously wrote, I did not get to spend a lot of time in the Skeeter Hunt today. But the time I did spend? Yowza!

My first 45 minutes, before leaving for the soup kitchen yielded only five QSOs. I was a bit disappointed, thinking it was going to be one of those days.

Then, the second session was night and day different from the first. I got home later than expected, and got on the air with only 25 minutes remaining. But I threw out my call on 40 Meters, and it was like dropping a baited line into a school of fish! QSO after QSO after QSO, with only a few CQs between each. I got a total of 11 QSOs in the last 20 minutes, for a total of 16 for the event. Makes me wonder how well I could have done if I had the full four hours. Participation seemed decent.

Thank you to all of you who got on the air and made the contacts. I think the 2nd Annual Skeeter Hunt was a huge hit! Sign ups for Skeeter numbers went from 123 last year to 154 this year. Now, for the log summaries, photos and soapbox comments! You have 14 days, folks. I look forward to you filling up my Inbox!

73 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

4 comments:

  1. Larry the contest for me was great and I am off Monday so the results, pics and soapbox will come in then.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great time operating the skeeter hunt today. Cycled to Bate Island in the middle of the Ottawa River, popped up an 88' dipole, hooked up the KX1 and let 'er rip. Despite the fact that I got my skeeter # wrong and sent everyone #54 (oops) I had fun ;-)

    I'm glad I got you in the log Larry with just 10 minutes to go ;-)

    72 es 73 de VA3SIE/P #52 (not #54).

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a great time operating the skeeter hunt today. Cycled to Bate Island in the middle of the Ottawa River, popped up an 88' dipole, hooked up the KX1 and let 'er rip. Despite the fact that I got my skeeter # wrong and sent everyone #54 (oops) I had fun ;-)

    I'm glad I got you in the log Larry with just 10 minutes to go ;-)

    72 es 73 de VA3SIE/P #52 (not #54).

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:23 PM

    Had a great time this year as Skeeter #1! Thanks for the QSO Larry; you were plenty loud.

    72 de Sean KX9X

    ReplyDelete