Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Random thought #9

9) The 2018-2019 QRP Winter Fox Hunt Season officially begins next Tuesday, November 6th. I haven't made up my mind as to whether or not I'll be participating this year. I sat out the Summer Season and I have to admit that I didn't miss it, too terribly.

20 Meters is always tough that time of the evening during the Summer. If the Fox is not in the Western third of the country, I usually listen to static crashes for 90 minutes.

While 40 and 80 Meters are way better in the Winter time, and I generally have greater success - I don't know how quite to explain this.  Since I'm not an avid contester, the competition factor of the Fox Hunts isn't really all that appealing to me.

I enjoy snagging the pelts and keeping up on my "working split" skills. That comes in handy during DX pileups. But being the first in NJ to snag the Fox, or keeping tabs on how I'm doing against the other Hounds is pointless, to me.

The Hounds in the center portion of the US have a decided advantage as they can pretty much work into all areas of the US, equally.  The Hounds on the West coast have it particularly tough, as they start earlier, so local time and band conditions conspire against them.

If I participate at all, it will probably be spotty at best. I'll probably start each hunt late, hoping that a certain Ham (who shall remain nameless) will have gotten both pelts before I even begin. His approach to Fox hunting is probably best described as the "shot gun approach" - call often, call long, and don't take a break to listen very much until you nab that pelt.  Truth be told, that's what been making it uber un-enjoyable the past few seasons. His signal is always loud for me, making participation a less than sublime experience, as I end up hearing a lot of him and not much else. I'd rather just skip the twice weekly frustration.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least1

1 comment:

  1. Gosh Larry, it is good to know others have the same problem. Unfortunately we have a local fox group that is quite active. Needless to say, finding the fox's frequency is pretty easy as the local hounds mark the bandpass rather distinctly. I still participate, though neither regularly nor with unbridled passion. Like you, I'll never start with the pack at the opening bell. Look for me in the last 15 minutes, at best.

    ReplyDelete