Monday, January 07, 2008

Not Good News

It's not a good day when you see this appear on the QRP reflectors:

"Hi folks -

We will not be conducting the Atlanticon QRP Forum this year.

We will likely do it again in 2009 ..."

The following reasons were given:

1) Dwindling attendance
2) Dwindling enthusiasm
3) The "Atlanticon Kit" model no longer works

Wow! That is a disappointment. Now I'll be the first one to admit that I've never been to Atlanticon. Current family circumstances have prevented me from attending; but I've always wanted to. And I planned to make one in the near future.

It's sad to see this happen, though. There are not enough Ham Radio events these days; let alone QRP dedicated ones. Atlanticon was kind of the "yardstick" against which all the others were measured. My good friend W3BBO was fortunate to attend a few times; and he enjoyed himself thoroughly. My dream was to make it there with him some year.

So what's the reason? Rising gas prices? A general lull in Ham Radio interest due to the crummy part of the sunspot cycle? The aging demographic of Hams that might not want to travel much anymore?

Whatever the reason, I hope that Atlanticon comes back bigger and stronger than ever in 2009. Maybe I'll actually be able to make it by then!

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment