Friday, January 25, 2008

Sometimes you're the bug ....

sometimes you're the windshield.

Last night I was the bug - tonight I was the windshield.

Last night I tried to participate in the 40 Meter QRP Foxhunt. I tuned around the band looking for either the Fox or the pack chasing him (them). Then the switch turned on and the 20 over 9 QRN came on and effectively killed 40 Meters for me for the night.

Tonight was a different story. This time I was the windshield. 40 Meters was quiet and stayed that way. I called CQ around 7.028 MHz and was answered by John K1ESE. John and I have worked each other in many QRP Sprints; but we never really had the opportunity to just shoot the breeze for a bit. That changed tonight. I was fortunate enough to work John on his brandy new Ten Tec Orion that he just received yesterday. John was 599 all the way; and the new radio sounded so sweet! I certainly hope that John gets a great many years of enjoyment out of his new rig. And from what I understand, he will. Ten Tec has the reputation for making the finest CW rigs out there. There are a lot of guys out there who swear by them. Someday, if I ever hit the lottery; or come into a huge some of money, I would love to buy one for myself.

Until then, I'll just stick with Ol' Reliable .... my K2.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment