Thursday, July 26, 2018

The best laid plans of mince and men .......

Some people advise against making plans, because they always seem to get messed up. But I am going to plan for Sunday and FOBB, anyway.

The weather forecast is for a partly cloudy day with virtually no chance of rain. The high temperature for the day, currently being forecast, should be around 85F (about 29C). So I am going to head off to Cotton Street Park, which is not to far away from home, as you can see - really just a matter of blocks. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile or so, at the most.


There, the trees are tall and the shade is plentiful. We're talking trees which are easily in the 50 to 60 foot (15 to 18 meters) high neighborhood - good trees for throwing wire into. At this point in time, I will probably defer to one of my favorites, the PAR ENDFEDZ 40/20/10.

I have something new this year, that I bought specifically for these portable ops radio jaunts. It's a chair that I've seen some of my other South Plainfield Amateur Radio Club friends use - a chair from Harbor Freight.


That little side table (which is actually a little bigger than it looks in the photo) should hold my KX3 and my tiny blue LiPO battery quite comfortably. I have the pouches on the other side to hold a bottle of water and various miscellania - log book, etc. Cotton Street Park has no picnic tables, so this will come quite in handy.

In past years, I've used a standard sports type of folding chair (which required the use of separate camping table - something more to carry), or I have sat on the ground. The problem with sitting on the ground is that there are quite a few horse chestnut trees in the park, which produce these lovely little "conkers".


Accidentally sitting on one of the unopened pods can be quite hazardous to your backside!

I'm hoping band conditions will be decent, but am fully prepared for them not to be. That will not deter me in any shape, way or form as a bad day at Amateur Radio is still nicer than a good day at work!

Hope to hear you on the air Sunday!

72 de Larry W2LJ - Bee # 12
QRP - When you care to send the very least!


No comments:

Post a Comment