Tuesday, January 24, 2012

80 Meters and the CME

Coronal Mass Ejection or not; I was successful in bagging both Foxes in the 80 Meter Fox Hunt tonight. Paul AA4XX and Drew K9CW have magnificent ears.  I cannot know what band conditions are like at their QTHs, but I am finding 80 Meters to be significantly more noisy than normal.  I guess the ionosphere is still in a tizzy after Ol' Sol's bout of solar indigestion yesterday.

Before the Fox Hunt, I took a few minutes to check with Ham Radio Deluxe to see exactly what I need for CQ's WAZ Award.  I need six more zones.  As luck would have it, they're all on the opposite side of the globe (of course).  Would be nice to have a beam like WA8REI's.  BTW, if you want to see it, it is a thing of beauty, He has posted a picture on his blog.

Hopefully, conditions will just keep getting better and the vertical and wire will be able to cut it. Ah, to have band conditions like they had back in the late 50's.  The stories that I have been told!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment