Friday, January 13, 2012

Baby, it's cold outside!

I have been spoiled by our relatively dry and warmish Winter.  Tonight, however, the winds are howling and the temperatures have been dropping all day like a stone.  Right now it's 25F (-3C) and if you step outside without the proper protection (ie. jacket, gloves, hat, earmuffs) it feels even more bitterly cold.  The weekend temperatures are supposed to be lower than normal; and certainly lower than they have been up to this point.

I recently finished a QSO with N3YWQ who has it not only windy, but snowy too - so things can always be worse, I guess. Conditions are good tonight; but I'm not having much luck.  I tried working a couple of European stations at the bottom of 40 Meters, but am not being heard.  I'm so tired from a hard day of work; maybe my heart's not in it tonight.

BUT..........Sunday night is Run For The Bacon night - so keep that in mind.  If you're new to the QRP game and am wondering what the heck I am jabbering about - RFTB is the monthly Sprint held by the Flying Pigs Amateur Radio Club International.  It's held the third Sunday evening (Monday morning UTC) of every month.  No pressure - just a lot of fun.  The rules are here; and you don't need to be a Flying Pig to partake. Membership in the Flying Pigs is free and it's a great bunch of folks, slightly irreverent at times; but NEVER rude.  Pigs just wanna have fun!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Good evening Larry, it's very cold here to night the temp is supposed to go down to -17 I guess winter has arrived. Oh and I will give the flying pigs a go as well.

    ReplyDelete