Tuesday, January 10, 2012

So cool!

While reading Dave K2DSL's blog today, I came across a tool that I was not previously aware of. Dave has made available a utility where you can generate a map from an ADIF file.

So, I figured, "What the heck?"

I made an ADIF file of part of the QSOs that I had during 2011 and generated a map.


But wait, there's more!  Dave's utility allows you to download a KML  file with which you can open using Google Earth, and do some playing around there.  It seems that my antennas seem to favor an axis that runs NorthEast to SouthWest relative to my QTH.


This is so neat!  Thanks, Dave!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

4 comments:

  1. Of course this was already possible long ago with HRD V4. But is is nice it is a online tool.
    Thanks for writing about it. I should read K2DSL's blog. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't work for me because my adif file doesn't contain lat/long info. I thought the tool would figure that out from the call sign I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey,

    From what I understand, you either need lat/lon, of if your logger keeps track of grid squares, that will work, too.

    Larry W2LJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bas,

    I was unaware that HRD had that function. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I was just playing around with that and it eliminated the step of making an ADIF file.

    72 de Larry W2LJ

    ReplyDelete