Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Making time for air time.

So far, this new year of 2012 (only five days old), I have been on the air, each day.  I don't know how long I can keep this up due to family or work commitments, but we'll see.

Tonight I had the most delightful rag chew with Eric WA3QWT who lives in Butler, PA. Butler is the home of a pretty good hamfest, according to my friends W3BBO and K3WWP; so we had something to talk about.  Eric was in the mood for a rag chew too, so we went from there and were on the air for a total of about 40 minutes or so. I remember hours long rag chews when I was a Novice; but in today's QSOs of "599 TNX QRZ?" - this seemed like one of those long ago gabfests.

Eric has been licensed for over 40 years, but came back to the hobby recently after a hiatus.  He was using his new Kenwood TS-590 to a doublet fed with 450 Ohm window line. His signal never waivered from 599. And I got a 559 report in return - copy was armchair quality all the way on both sides.

I love QSOs like this - to me, this is what this hobby is all about.  It doesn't get any better than this - well, yes it does - but that's another story.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment