Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snowy day

But not bad - only about three inches of the fluffy white stuff.  Enough to make for a nice day at home where I was able to spend some time behind the K2, instead of running around all day like a chicken with my head cut off.

When I got on for a small morning session, 15 Meters was nicely open.  I worked Pavel OK1MU from the Czech Republic who was very loud into NJ - 599 Plus.  A funny thing happened though.  When I sent out my call in answer to his CQ, upon answering me, he immediately knew my name and asked me if I was running QRP.  I'm used to people knowing my name, as it's so easy with logging programs tied to call book sites.  But the QRP question threw me.  I guess he was a quick read of my QRZ bio.

17 Meters was open too; and I was able to work Andy LX1DA in Luxembourg. Later in the day I went back to 15 Meters and worked YN7SU in Nicaragua.  HK0NA was loud as anything on 17 Meters; but I was not able to break the pileup, which spanned a whole 10 kHz.  I'm still hoping to get into their log before they leave in early February.

In two weeks, it will be time for FYBO, the first big QRP event of 2012.  The rules can be found here.  There's a new mobile category and that's how I'm thinking of operating this year.  Buddistick on the magmount on top of the Jeep, hooked up to the PFR3A.  The way this Winter is going, it will be interesting to see what the temperature will be that day.  It wouldn't surprise me if it was 58F ...... or 22F.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment