Saturday, January 28, 2012

A good day on the radio

'Twas a fine day on the radio.  Lots of activity and lots of stations to be worked.  I added a few new ones, new ones as far as working for Diamond DXCC goes, that is.

C6AKQ - Bob N4BP in the Bahamas
UT7UJ - Dmitry in the Ukraine
OE5PGL - Peter in Austria
CT8/HB9CQL - Rudolf in the Azores

and .........

HK0NA on 17 Meters this afternoon.

Yay! Finally managed to break through the pile up.  The team has been there a few weeks now and the pileups don't seem to be diminishing at all, they're still in great demand.  Today was the loudest I have ever heard them to date and was lucky enough to get them in my log.

I also spent a few minutes this afternoon working on the antenna setup that I hope to use next Saturday for FYBO.  I hooked up the Buddistick to the magmount and stuck it on top of the Jeep.  Using an antenna analyzer, I found the settings that I need to be at for SWRs of 1.2:1 on both 20 and 40 Meters.  I didn't make any QSOs but did do some listening.  I heard Ken WA8REI in QSO and his signal was so loud, I thought my ear drums were going to burst.  One of the few times that I actually had to turn the volume control on the PFR3A almost all the way down.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the HK0. You get the VP6 or the TN yet?

    73 de KG2V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon Larry, I heard HK0NA last night on 17m and it was a huge pileup. So I did give it a try for about a half hour but to no use. I did have to work last night until about 6 this morning so I could not spend to much time on the radio. I find the antenna analyzers are the cat's whisker. I have never looked back after I purchased mine (MFJ 259B) they are just great at finding the sweet spot on the antenna by making as few adjustment as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Congo or Pitcairn, yet ....

    ReplyDelete