Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Winter is here!

I must say, that throughout November and December, we have enjoyed quite warm (comparatively) weather for this time of year.  January has brought Winter, with a vengeance.  The temperatures started dropping on Sunday, along with a mighty wind, which made it feel colder than it actually was.  Right now, as I type this, it is 21F (-6C) and it is supposed to go as low as perhaps 14F tonight (-10C).

In a way, this is a shame, as tonight (tomorrow morning) is supposed to be the peak of the Quadrantid Meteor shower.  NASA has reported that the possibility exists for us in the Northern Hemisphere to see about 100 shooting stars an hour around the 2:30 AM peak. I indeed, think that this would be neat to view; but I highly doubt that I am going to brave the frigid cold temps to do it. Many years ago, in my pre-high school days, I dreamed of being an astronomer one day.  Then I met higher Math. He didn't like me - and to tell the truth, I didn't care for him too much, either.

So I will probably content myself with trying to work one of the two 80 Meter Foxes tonight, either Rick NK9G or Jim WA4ILO - or even perhaps both if I am lucky enough.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Addendum - Got both Foxes within one hour of the start of the hunt. Band conditions were good tonight - not much QRN at all.  BUT, it's 59F (15C) down here in the shack. I'm going and getting under the nice, warm covers!  Brrrrrr !!!

1 comment:

  1. Good evening Larry, yes winter has hit up this way too. We went from rain and plus temps to minus temps. Today the warm was -16C and then there was the wind chill on top of that. For someone like me who works outside this is not the days I look forward too.
    Good luck with the Foxes.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete