Friday, February 05, 2010

This is interesting

Early reports said the snow was to start somewhere between 4:00 and 6:00 PM; just in time for the trip home from work. It's nearly 9:00 PM and the first flakes have not fallen. Hmmmm .... Does this mean the storm is moving more slowly than anticipated? If that's true, it will linger longer than expected and possibly dump a higher amount on us. Current forecast is calling for 6-14 inches. The farther South you are, the more snow you will most likely receive.

In any event, the 2 Meter handheld is in the charging dock, as there will inevitably be a SkyWarn Net tomorrow on the K2GE, Sayreville NJ repeater. I'm sure they will be looking for local reports. I am an official member of SkyWarn, having taken the spotter training several times over a period of years. For the life of me, however, I cannot find the piece of paper with my official NOAA Spotter number. I think that got lost when I moved to South Plainfield from East Brunswick.

My daughter's cheerleading stint for tomorrow got canceled as all the basketball games that were to be held at the school got postponed to another date. So I can sleep in for maybe an hour more than I would have otherwise. I will still have to go out and shovel so Marianne can make it to work tomorrow. Nurses go in regardless of the weather! Of course, I will get a few more gray hairs worrying about her until she is safe at home again. As if I don't have enough gray hair already!

Tomorrow is FYBO and if things work out as the forecasters say, I will be doing my operating from the basement. Blowing snow with gusting winds is not my idea of "fun operating in the outdoors". I wonder if anyone has operated FYBO outside during blizzard conditions before? I don't think we QRPers are THAT crazy!

73 de Larry W2LJ

1 comment:

  1. I'm also surprised this morning because I expected to see a LOT of snow on the ground here in the valley. So far....it hasn't happened.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the hopes that we've been sparred the major brunt of ice.

    ReplyDelete