Thursday, May 20, 2010

It goes so fast !

Springtime, that is!

It seems like Springtime started just a few weeks ago; and here we are, almost at the end of May. In the United States, next weekend is Memorial Day weekend, which is the "unofficial" start of the Summer season here in the US. We kick off the season with picnics, barbeques, parades and other outdoor events for a whole weekend of fun. But also intermixed with that fun is a tinge of sadness and reverence, as we remember those from our Armed Forces who made the Ultimate Sacrifice for the United States, freedom and liberty.

Two big QRP events to keep in mind for Memorial Day weekend - the QRP-ARCI Hoot Owl Sprint and the Michigan QRP Memorial Day Sprint. Both are top notch QRP Sprints that are a lot of fun. I have enjoyed operating in both in years past and actually got a certificate once, for placing as top scorer from NJ in the Hoot Owl Sprint. That came as a surprise and I will do my darnedest to repeat that performance this year.

I am looking forward to next weekend as it will be a busy one! I am taking next Friday off to help out with Field Day at my kid's school. I will be behind a grill flipping burgers and hot dogs. Then on Saturday morning, I should be with the CERT group helping out in the statewide high school track meet that takes place in our town every year. I was contemplating going to the Bergen Amateur Radio Association hamfest that morning; but want help out with the public service event, instead. Of course, if the town tells me that they already have enough volunteers, then I can always be persuaded to make the hamfest instead! :)

The only reason that I might not be at the track meet is that the original e-mail looking for volunteers went out on May 10th, and for some reason, my e-mail address didn't make the list. It was only when another CERT member asked me if I was serving, that I became aware of it. I sent the Director of Emergency Management an e-mail volunteering my services. However, it's already 10 days after that original e-mail went out, so I just might be told that there's no room at the inn.

Then the rest of the weekend will be spent playing radio and performing household duties. Let's hope that Ol' Sol wakes up from his nap and starts making with the sunspots and flux again!

72 de Larry W2LJ

1 comment:

  1. If you think you will make it to the BARA hamfest, please let me know and I'll try to find you to say hello. I'll be there the entire time, helping with the VE testing session, whatever else they need and browsing.

    David - K2DSL

    ReplyDelete