Friday, May 07, 2010

Migration

Migrating the information from http://www.w2lj.qrpradio.com/ has been a bit more involved than I thought. But so far, I have moved over the more important pieces of the "Station W2LJ", "Morse Code", and "QRP Contesting" pages. This is a work in progress to consolidate the information here so as to eliminate hopping between blog and Website.

On the other hand, I have figured out more of the quirks of my new Wouxun 144/220 MHz handheld. There is a menu - Menu 21 that lets you choose between VFO and memory modes. The difficulty that I was having was in realizing that in the manual "Frequency Mode" = "VFO Mode" and that "Channel+Frequency Mode" = "Memory Mode".

But on the whole I am impressed with this little radio after just a few days. The price was right, and the audio output is great, and it's not all that hard to use. I like the heftiness and sturdiness of my Alinco DJ-V5; but the Wouxun will serve well as the 220 MHz radio and as a 2 Meter radio backup.

This weekend, if I get the time (it being Mother's Day weekend), I would like to try downloading the free software for programming the radio's memory channels using one of my PCs and the cable that I purchased for the purpose. The only thing I have to do beforehand is locate one of my ARRL repeater directories. I had one in the car; but I went looking for it in the glove-box and console storage area, only to find that I had moved it somewhere else. The problem is that I can't remember where that somewhere else is!

72 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment