Saturday, September 25, 2010

New Rig from TenTec


When I first saw this on the K1TP Website, I first thought, "Cool! A replacement for the Argo!".  But no, this is not a new QRP rig.  Although the low end will put you at 5 Watts, this radio will put out 100 Watts.  To see the brochure, you can click here

It is a nice looking rig, though.  And if the price is right, maybe I wouldn't mind having a little QRO power around for times when QRP just can't get the job done.  I always have wanted a Ten Tec radio!

Some interesting things that I have noticed.  The DC Input connection is Andersen Power Pole type.  I think that's the first time I've ever seen that.  Up until now, I've kind of resisted the entire power pole concept, preferring to "roll my own" as it were.

AM and FM modes are "optional" and not built in, which is kind of weird these days as far as radios made by the "Big Guns" goes.

The Eagle comes with a USB port (sign o' the times) and you can adjust the display color to whatever color and intensity that your little heart would desire.

The brochure states that the radio is suitable for portable use; but the RX Current drain is 1.25 Amps - Ouch!

Still intriguing however as another base rig.  Something else to buy lottery tickets for!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

6 comments:

  1. Was at the TenTec hamfest today. The rig looks to be the real deal. Receiver specs on par with the Orion II, Omni VII and the K3... no dual receiver option though. Basic rig with tremendous receiver. $1799 without the auto-tuner.

    73 de Jeff, KE9V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool looking radio. I'll bet comparisons to the K2 will be a near-constant fact of life once this rig hits the streets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry, I like Ten Tec transceivers, had one many years ago, but I sold it (regret!) Nowadays the TT transceivers are very expensive. There are no dealers so far in Europe. That's a shame. And to import takes a lot money extra. So we are stick to Japanese rigs. ;-) 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Larry, Just heard about this rig the other day on a reflector. Had a look at the brochure they seem to push the fact the display color can be changed. I was wondering if the USB port was for updating the rig? If so that is a bonus....well as long as the company releases updates. As for the Anderson power poles my K3 has them and my K2 with the 100 watt option has them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...it's not a portable rig with that high receive current drain, but I'd love to own a TenTec rig. I consider them one of the very best for CW use.

    I wouldn't miss the AM and FM modes at all. It's good to see them produce another quality product. Good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Larry,

    Looks like Ten-Tec are trying to have a competitor for the Yaesu FT-450, Kenwoods new one and ICOM IC-7200 I guess.

    Looks interesting, and a very useful ATU ... hmm... if the price is right as you say!

    73 de Andre', M0JEK

    ReplyDelete