Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Holy Backlog, Batman!

I must admit that I didn't pay too much attention to the recent and various comments on the e-mail reflectors about Log Of The World.  I use it, but I only upload a few times a year, so I don't really concern myself with it too much.

I uploaded a big batch of QSOs tonight and I see that my log will probably be processed in about 9 days. 9 days!  Wow!  It used to be a couple of minutes to an hour.  I'm glad I don't live by my seat of the pants for LOTW, like some guys do. That would be a real stomach acid producer.

Delving into another topic ....... comments on the blog.  All comments to this blog are moderated for spam, as you know.  Blogger used to be really good with filtering out spam comments.  For those of you who don't use Blogger, when moderation is used, comments go into one of two files - "Comments Awaiting Moderation" for legitimate comments, or "Spam" for spam (oddly enough).

It seems that lately more and more spammers are getting sophisticated enough to figure out how to get spam comments past Blogger's filters.  I am seeing a dramatic increase of spam comments in the "Awaiting Moderation" folder.  An easy way for me to manually filter the "Awaiting Moderation" folder is to look for comments with a name or call sign.  I will check those off and publish them. The one thing common to all spam comments is that they are left by "Anonymous".  So if you want to leave a comment, please attach your call or name. Otherwise it's going to be deleted.  There are literally close to 50 or 60 spam comments generated a day - and that's just what I find in the "Awaitng Moderation" folder.  There are lots more in the "Spam" folder and they are mostly for counterfeit knock off products from clothing to pharmaceuticals   They all get deleted and they are all left by that "Anonymous" guy.

My Pig Rig kit got delivered yesterday.  A small box - about the size of a 3 or 4 inch cube arrived from KitsandParts.com.  Yeah, I know ...... I have a KX3 and a K3 - what do I need a Pig Rig for?  Why, to build, of course!  Accuweather is saying that the temps are supposed to drop like a stone next week and that for the East Coast, the cold Winter weather may start in earnest and hang around for a bit.  Looks like I'll just have to keep warm by the emanations of my soldering iron.

Oh, but first I have to clean out the shack!  8-)

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment