Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Computer problems

On Memorial Day we had an exceptionally bad thunderstorm rumble through here in the morning.  Strangely enough, however, the only thing that got damaged was the Ethernet card (yes, I did try a different Ethernet cable) inside the "family computer".  Being "frugal" (codeword for cheap), I purchased a new Ethernet card on eBay.  Silly me, I didn't bother to make sure that it was compatible with Vista!

It wasn't and needless to say, it didn't work.  But it was only $5 (no shipping) so it didn't set me back a fortune.  I am currently waiting on a wireless stick. Since the wireless router sits right on top of the computer anyway, it seemed like a no brainer.  It should be here tomorrow or Thursday and things will be back to normal.  In the meantime, I am using the laptop, which is no big deal, except for fighting off other family members for computer time.

My son and I were watching a TV commercial for Staples (I think) where they are advertising all the tablets they have for sale. I told my son, who is just finishing 5th grade, that by the time he leaves High school, there will probably be no such thing as desktop computers anymore.  Maybe even laptops, too.

He gave me a funny look; but look how far we've come.  Floppy disks are no more, serial ports are no more, it looks like cabled devices will soon be no more.  With the "cloud" becoming more and more prevalent, even thumb and zip drives seem to be on the endangered list. This stuff seems to evolve at an exponential rate.  Seems like every time you turn around, something new is being introduced.

On a radio note, I see we are in the throes of some big time geomagnetic disturbances.  I guess this is the aftermath of that lull we had a few weeks back.  I just hope that propagation stays decent for a while.

Well, I think I will head down the basement for a few minutes before hitting the hay.  Maybe I can scare up K6JSS/9 from Wisconsin before I turn in.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Couldn't hear K6JSS/9 on 20 Meters as I have an S9 noise level tonight for whatever reason.  But I did work OM5MZ on 30 Meters.  The noise level was slightly less there and Boby was blasting through.  The 88' EDZ seems to do a really good job for me on 30 Meters.  I didn't stand a chance with the G5RV on that band.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Larry, Slovenia is a nice catch. Yes, I think we will laugh when we see in 20 years our desktop computers on video. 'What is that huge thing, grandpa?' 'That was my computer.' 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wonder if there will even be notebooks than, computers will probably be just the size of the screen with the thickness of a paper

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wonder if there will even be notebooks than, computers will probably be just the size of the screen with the thickness of a paper

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you enjoy the wonders of computers, we tend to encounter computer glitches which are very troublesome and could disrupt our productivity. That really sounds such a hit! I would agree that by the time comes, computers will double and even triple its productivity and appearance.

    ReplyDelete