Thursday, October 27, 2011

K6JSS/3

I am happy to say that Maryland is in the log after a very nice QSO tonight with Mike W3MC who was behind the key as K6JSS/3.  Mike was kindly enough to meet me on 80 Meters, where he was very loud.  Mike was running his K3 at only 5 Watts (of course) but his open wire fed dipole resides at a lofty 90 feet up!  That is truly amazing.  I have a tough time imagining having trees that tall in my backyard.

I was looking at the AccuWeather forecast for the upcoming weekend,  and I see where my part of New Jersey stands to get 1 - 3 inches of snow on Saturday into Saturday night.  I haven't finished the leaves or put the glass in the storm doors yet!  What's going on?

The only good thing about this time of year is that 80 Meters comes back into play.  80 Meters is one of my favorite bands and it's nice to be able to hang out there.  I always seem to have a relatively low noise floor on 80 Meters during the months when darkness comes early.  Even when 40 Meters succumbs to that weird and unpredictable neighborhood QRN, 80 Meters remains relatively free and provides refuge.

And it IS very noticeable that it is getting dark early.  By the time I finish my commute home from work, the sun has already set.  In another week, that will be happening even quicker with the change back to Standard time - I will probably be leaving work in the darkness.

I hate to rush time; but the sooner Winter comes and goes, the sooner Spring will get here.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment