Thursday, October 13, 2011

New housing for my PFR-3A

When I built my PFR-3A and applied the decals, I sprayed the housing with a clear coat of Polyurethane in order to protects said decals.  Unfortunately, in my haste to use the radio, I didn't let that clear coat dry for as long as I should have.  I thought a few days was enough; but apparently it wasn't.

As a result, when I stowed the radio away in my rucksack, something else came in contact with the housing and left a rather unsightly mark.  This mark isn't just on the surface, it is into the urethane.  It didn't disturb the yellow paint, it just left an unsightly scuff in the overcoat. When I run my finger over the scuff, it feels like a gouge. I am enough of a perfectionist and enough of a "Type A" personality where that really, really bugs me.  I take great care (or thought I did) to make sure my equipment doesn't get beat up.  My K1 on the other hand looks mint, and I built that back in 2003.

So I contacted Doug at Hendricks QRPKits and sprung (sprang?) for a new housing, which arrived today.  I will apply the decals; but I think instead of applying clear coat, I will buy one of those Pelican type cases with the form fitting foam and will make that the PFR-3A's new home.  I believe it has been mentioned on QRP-L that inexpensive knock offs of those Pelican style cases are available at Wal-Mart.

And then, there's this:



http://www.utility-cases.com/b8.5x6.0x3.0.htm?caseclub=on

This would work and the price isn't bad at all.  Any suggestions out there?

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

3 comments:

  1. Don't buy it, go with the Pelican. I've used Pelican and the knock offs at work and home, nothing beats a Pelican for security. If you are going to spend the money for a piece of ham gear, spend the money on the best case you can to protect it. Don't be cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:58 AM

    I agree. Go Pelican. I have two for international travel. Cut away foam, insert, and gear is a nice, tight fit. Mine meet airline in-cabin size regs.

    73 F8WBD Dick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon Larry, I also use Pelican. I have the 1060 for a hand held Yaesu. Then the 1400 series for my KX1. These cases are great but yes they are not cheap. What I have found out in the past is if you go cheap in the long run you will end up spending more.

    ReplyDelete