Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Simple pleasures

One of the best things in Amateur Radio (outside of working a "new one") is just having a nice, simple, unhurried and relaxed QSO.  I was fortunate enough to hook up with Milt WA4FNG on 20 Meters tonight and to have one of those (kind of).

Courtesy of WA4FNG and QRZ

I called CQ on 14.062 MHz, and Milt answered my call with a very nice 589 signal (Imagine that - a 589 QRP signal!).  Milt was using his TenTec Corsair 2 - pumping a full QRP kilowatt of 5 Watts into a dipole at 60'.  Wow!  I wish I had some trees in my backyard that were 60' tall.

Milt's call was instantly familiar and a quick check into the log revealed that I had worked him in a couple of QRP-ARCI Sprints as well as handing him New Jersey for K6JSS/2 back in August.  But we never had a ragchew.  And we were on the verge of that this evening, but the band had other ideas. So while we were still copy-able to each other, we decided to call it quits.  Discretion being the better part of valor, I guess.  That was a shame, as I would have really enjoyed a longer QSO with Milt; but that's something that I can still look forward to at some other time.

Speaking of QRP ARCI Sprints ........ keep in mind the QRP ARCI Fall QSO Party is this coming weekend.  Not a Sprint by any means, but a very fun event that can be as serious or as relaxed as you want it to be.  I look forward to these - a lot!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. "having a nice, simple, unhurried and relaxed QSO" -- I couldn't agree more.

    Hans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes a nice chat with a really good fist is the best QSO of all. DX is fun and amazing but.....not many chats.

    ReplyDelete