Sunday, March 27, 2011

Oh What a Night

As I sit here, typing this post, the K2 is merrily sending out "CQ QRP DE W2LJ" for the NJQRP Homebrewer Sprint.  I have been at this for about 90 minutes now and there have already been high and low points.

The high points include getting called by Jim W1PID and having several small side chats with him.  It's always nice to meet someone on the air that you know, but it's always special to run into Jim..  Another high point was having Oleg RK3AW come back to one of my CQs and have him give me a 599 report from Russia.  He was absolutely blasting into NJ and at first, I thought I was hearing things.  Oleg sounded more like he was down the street than half way 'round the world.

The low point was having a good half hour run on 40 Meters come to an abrupt end when 20 over 9 RTTY signals came on the frequency out of the blue.  I mean, c'mon !!!!!!  Don't any of these guys listen at all before transmitting? 

I also got involved in a couple of nice ragchews with guys who didn't realize I was calling CQ for a Sprint.  Never one to turn down a QSO, it was easy to switch between contest mode and ragchew mode.  It might not help my contest total; but I'd rather give up points than hurt someone's feelings by having them feel that I didn't want to be bothered having a QSO with them.

I just switched on over to 80 Meters as the pickings on 40 seems to be getting slim. I'll sit here for a few and then will QRT as tomorrow IS a work day and the alarm goes off too early!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP -When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Larry, I know what you mean with strong RTTY, which could be very annoying. They put their signal upon yours. Sometimes I ask for QSY, but they do not react. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete