Sunday, March 06, 2011

This stuff is so much fun!

Being a Ham for over 30 years, you would think that would be deeply ingrained in the old cranium.  I suppose that it is; but at the same time this hobby is something I take for granted.  I suppose all of us do to some extent or another.

But a good afternoon on the radio brings it all back.  In addition to working Russia this morning on 15 Meters, I also worked Martinique and Iceland on 17 Meters and had a couple of nice ragchews with Stateside "locals" on 40 Meters.  In fact, I just finished a nice one with Art K4TP who was using his old SB-102 for the evening.  It sounded great by the way - like any other piece of commercial gear out there.




Of course, the QSO ended up with us both being nostalgic for the "Boys from Benton Harbor" and all the wonderful products that were available from them.  Lord know, we never thought a) that they would go away and b) what the kits would be worth now!  If I was smart (and I emphasize the word "if") I think I would buy a couple of K2s and stash them away in the basement, unbuilt.  I might never see the return; but in some years from now, my kids might be able to get a nice return on them.

Because of Point A, that I made above, that we thought they would never go away - I could really kick myself for all the Heathkit gear that I built over the years that I subsequently sold and no longer have.  It is true what they say - hindsight is 20/20 !!!  But I learned my lesson well after the HW-8 incident.  I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell my K1, K2 or PFR-3A unless it was the direst of emergencies.  I know only too well how much I would regret it in years to come.

The QSO with Art ended too soon, when he reported hearing some loud static crashes.  Springtime brings thunderstorms; and when they come, the best thing to do is get off the air and ditch the antennas!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. I had sold my HW8 but was able to buy it back a few years later. Never sell a radio you built...Mike WA6ARA

    ReplyDelete