Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Reciprocal propagation - hah !!!

Sunday night, when I tried working K6JSS/0 in Missouri, that bad neighborhood QRN reared its ugly head, as I had mentioned  I'm not sure whether or not John N0EVH who was behind the key heard me or not, so I figured I'd have to try for another "insurance" QSO.

I saw K6JSS/0 spotted on 20 Meters on QRPSPOTS this evening and thought I would give it a go.  The station was pretty loud here in NJ,  569/579 and building.  I thought to myself, "OK, this is going to be a piece of cake!"  Not so, my friend, not so!  The EDZ and the Butternut made no difference.  I even ran upstairs for the PFR-3A thinking a different rig might sway my luck.  Nada, zip, zilch, nothing, donut hole, the big "0" - even though he was calling CQ and getting no takers! Maybe, just maybe he was experiencing some local noise himself and I was not able to break through the noise floor?  I guess anything is possible.

So much for being loud back to a station who is loud to you.  Most of the time, that rule of thumb holds up, but it sure didn't tonight.  I hope K6JSS/0 gives 40 Meters a try tonight - maybe I'll have better luck there.

Such are the trials and tribulations of the QRP op.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Larry, have you been able to sort out the noise troubles yet?? Oh and good luck with K6JSS/0 this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry,

    You're absolutely right about the propagation...really strange the last several days.

    I was able to work him but I contacted several the last few days when the band has only been open for a few minutes and vanish.

    I assumed he was QRP? It was a quick exchange and then he was gone. I was lucky....

    ReplyDelete