Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sunday

I just checked AccuWeather and it looks like this coming Sunday might end up being antenna day.  The forecast is for sunny skies and high temps of 52F (11C).  Saturday is out as Cara has a cheerleading competition on that day, and I will more than likely be providing transportation.  I wish I had Friday off!  The forecast for Friday is also for sunny skies, but high temps are supposed to be near 70F (21C). Now that's antenna weather!

I have been watching QRPSPOTS and it seems like there has been a dearth of South Carolina operators as K6JSS/4 this week.  In fact, Jim W1FMR has been cheerleading the cause on both QRPSPOTS and QRP-L for more SC ops to climb on board and operate.  This is very surprising to me as I never seem to be in a QRP Sprint without at least 3 or 4 SC QSOs.  The problem is that a) this is a volunteer operation and b) a lot of us still work, so "on air" time can be at a premium.  I'm not about to fault any of the SC ops for even a nanosecond as I myself worry about getting enough volunteers from NJ to get on the air when it's our week.  Never criticize until you walk a mile in the other man's shoes as that wise old Native American saying goes.

All that said, the QRP-L Foxhunt season comes to a close this week.  Last night was the last 80 Meter hunt which I missed, and tomorrow is the last 40 Meter hunt.  I missed last night's hunt as I went to bed pretty quickly after coming home from work and eating dinner.  The firm I work for has tasked me with getting large amounts of networking gear to their branch offices in Asia on very short notice in response to last week's natural disaster.  It's very hard, as well as stressful to explain to someone that. "No, FedEx can NOT get 300 pound pieces of equipment halfway around the world, overnight!"  Priority shipping has become something that is so taken for granted, that people have come to believe that you can send ANYTHING to just about ANYWHERE over night.  Sometimes, I really have bad feelings for the man who started Purolator Courier.  They were the first ones in the business, I think.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment